Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Eve Tradition

I'm not one for setting resolutions.  I have nothing against them mind you, but if I really want to do something I do it no matter what time of year it is.  Also, I think by making this list of new resolutions and "wiping the slate clean", we're missing out on something.  You don't really want to erase every aspect of this year, so instead I offer you a new way to look at the New Year.  Some of you may already do this.

Every New Year's Eve I burn candles with intent.  My bayberry candle gets burned on Christmas Eve as it's tradition in my family.  Instead, I burn a white 7-day candle to clear out any negativity (white for purity) and I get a few small tapers representing the things I'd like to invite into my home this year.  Usually it's blue for health, orange (or yellow) for happiness, and green for abundance.  Health, wealth, and happiness...a time honored toast for the New Year.  But use whatever you want or need.  You know the drill, set them somewhere they won't be disturbed or on your altar if you use one; light each candle with intent (whatever works for you, there is no "right" way); and let them burn all the way down.  REMEMBER-one of these candles will be burning for a week so make sure it's in a safe spot before you light it.

The twist on the resolutions is this...instead of making a list of all the things you want to change, make a list of all the things you want to bring with you from this year into the New Year.  Things you want to remember.  Just a slight change in the way you look at things can make all the difference.  So, make your list (before you light the candles) and place said list under the 7-day candle.  Again, leave it alone until it's burned itself out.  You can keep the list tucked away somewhere until next year or you can bury it with any remaining wax from your candles (if you have a yard).

Happy New Year!
~ Heathen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Candles are always my friend.

Happy New Year, may everything you wish to follow you be on your tail, and those things you are ready to bid farewell, leave in peace.

Danni said...

I know someone who's going to the store to hunt down a seven day candle tomorrow, what an awesome idea!

May you have the happiest of New Years, may all the joy and lessons of this year move forward with you and the negativity and gunk stay behind.

Jeanne said...

Love the idea of the list of things you want to bring with you into the New Year. TFS!
Happy New Year!
(I really like your blog background. The banner is so comforting.)

JoAnne said...

What a lovely tradition for ushering in a new year! Thanks for stopping by, hope you'll stop back and grab the Tutorial Tuesday button. Look forward to you being a featured guest!

Róisín said...

Happy new year to you! I wish I'd read this post before the night came and went- I really like your suggestions. As for your idea on the resolutions, that's exactly what I've done this year. It's the first time ever I haven't made any and instead I'm just focusing on all the positives from what was generally a pretty crappy year. Like all you lovely blogging folk; it's been so wonderful meeting you all over the past twelve months and I hope to continue the friendship in the coming months. Well, hope you're having a fantastic day!